Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Proverbs 30

***Proverbs 30***

Desmond Tutu spoke at my seminary in 1980's... when I was in elementary school. One of my professors was there to hear him speak and remembers him saying "it must be hard to be a Christian in America... Americans have so much."

Verses 7-8 "Two things I ask of you, Lord; do not refuse me before I die; keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread."

How many times a day do you think the average person is lied to? Lies come from everywhere. The media, advertising, and political parties just to name a few... and there is nothing we can do to escape it. But we can choose our relationships and we can choose to end relationships with those that refuse to tell the truth.

There is something refreshing about the truth, even if it's not what we want to hear. A good friend once said to me "I can work with the truth." Even if it's bad news or a word that stings, the truth is a foundation that trust and love is built on. There is no love or trust in dishonesty.

It's the same with the Truth... Jesus. The words of Jesus are sometimes are hard to understand and sometimes we just don't want to understand them because they are hard to live out. Like loving our enemies... not many of us loved Osama. But the Truth, Jesus is a foundation that we can build our life off of.

As long as we have Jesus, we have our daily bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment