Friday, May 20, 2011

Esther 1



***Esther 1***


I'm not really sure what this chapter has to do with God... or why it is in the bible? The whole book of Esther is a great story... it would make a great movie... but by bible standards it is a little different.


Every time I read about Xerxes I am reminded of the movie 300 and the way that Xerxes looked in that movie (see above). He was no doubt a man of power, mystery and wealth.


The chapter tells us that he threw a party that lasted 6 months, in which he celebrated how great he was. And then, after 6 months of contiually celebrating his greatness, his wife doesn't want to come see him. Really? I wonder why? If my dad tried something like that I think my mom would last about 6 minutes!


So the decree goes out to all the empire, which went from India to Greece, that women must submit to their husbands. There are a few bible passages that say wives should be subordinate... I for one think that every one of those passages need to be ignored.


Marriage is a relationship that is designed to be mutually loving and respectful. Of course, there are times when a wife should listen to her husband and times when a husband should listen to his wife. That's part of loving each other... remember, love is not self-seeking.


We should only be completely subordinate to God... we should only give God that power because God is the only one that is guaranteed not to abuse it.


Let's learn from the mistakes of the past... not recycle them.







No comments:

Post a Comment