Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Romans 13

Verse 2 "whoever rebels against the authorities is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves."

Let's just get this out of the way right now, I do not believe the bible is the inerrant word of God. Because if I did believe that the bible is inerrant, then I would have to believe that the whole bible is inerrant. I can't leave out any verses. Inerrant means that every word and comma was spoken by God, every story is historically accurate and the prejudices of the bible are the prejudices of God.

Instead I believe the bible is the infallible message of God. The writers got the message right but but sprinkled in their own prejudices and beliefs. Some of the bible stories may not be historically accurate, but may be a parable which teaches us truth about God. (Job, Jonah, Creation, etc.) I don't know the truth about these stories either way, but I choose to view the bible in this light because it allows to me to call BS when needed.... and this verse is BS.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that we should submit to the authorities when they are doing the job that we the people appointed them to do... but what about Hitler? He was the authority of a whole nation and he did not do the will of God. If he did the will of God then I am in the wrong business.

There is a famous quote by Martin Niemoller, a Lutheran pastor in Germany during Hitler's reign. He said:
"First they came for the communists and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Jews and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me."

We, as Christians need to speak out against any authority that is not doing what we have elected them to do.

Sorry Paul, you're wrong.

(This blog was not a partisan statement... There is a huge difference between Obama and Hitler, I can not understand how anyone can compare the two)

2 comments:

  1. On the other hand, the note in the Lutheran Study Bible says, "the government in turn is to act as God's servant." If the government isn't acting that way, then perhaps rebellion is required.

    Just a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is THE best blog yet! You are a brave man, Rev. Nick, and I appreciate you "speaking out!" I feel your statements on what the Bible is to you is wise and true. I read this blog to Joan and she and I are in awe :) Thanks so much for sharing your beliefs!

    ReplyDelete