Thursday, February 21, 2013

Luke 14

Jesus tells the parable of a man who invites many people to come to a banquet. Many who are invited reply with an excuse for why they were unable to come:

"The first said, ‘I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.’ “Another said, ‘I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I’m on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.’ “Still another said, ‘I just got married, so I can’t come.’ (Verses 18-20)

I don't think it is a stretch to say that the man throwing the banquet is God and we are all invited. This tells us a lot about who God is and the gift of free-will that we have been given.

First of all, banquets are fun, there is good food, music and usually dancing. So God likes to have fun with the people that He loves! All that He asks from us, is to show up, He has the rest covered.

Second, God does not force any one to come to the banquet, but He invites everyone. It's up to you whether or not you are at the banquet. Through Jesus, God has provided the invitation and the directions.

Finally, the gift of free-will means that we have the power to say "no"... We have the freedom to give our best excuse for why we don't want to be there. I love the excuses that these guys in the text had, they were too busy with work and family.

Does that mean that work and family will keep us out of heaven? No, this isn't about heaven. It's about living the good life right now, right here, by being in relationship God. The banquet is here, it's all around us!

Let the good times roll! 

No comments:

Post a Comment