Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Luke 22


Jesus was in the Garden of Gethsemane waiting to be betrayed and arrested. He prayed to the Father, “Take this cup from me.” (Verse 42) Jesus didn’t want to do this.

In life we are asked to do things we don’t want to do. We are asked by our loved ones, by the people we work for and by our friends. Sometimes we say “no”, but other times we are stuck doing it.

Sometimes we are asked by God, and saying “no” is not an option. My call to ministry was a lot like that. I told God “no” for a couple years, but God won in the end. God always wins in the end. 

Jesus knew what he had to do. In my Matthew 26 blog I wrote about how love motivated Jesus to follow through. In this chapter we find out where he received the strength to finish the job. “An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him.” (Verse 43)

Jesus needed help. Jesus needed strength. Jesus needed an angel.

I have heard stories where people are certain that an angel has come to them in their time of need. I don’t know that I have ever come in contact with an angel. I don’t know whether there is one guarding me right now or not. I don’t really know what I think about angels.

Jesus believed in angels. An angel announced his birth to a young Mary. Angels tended to him after he was tempted in the wilderness. And an angel gave him the strength that he needed to die with love and forgiveness in his heart, instead of hate.

Maybe angels can help us love more and hate less. Maybe angels can give us the strength to do what we think is impossible. Maybe angels are with us every day.

If Jesus needed angels, Lord knows we do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment