Monday, March 4, 2013

Luke 21


“As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. ‘Truly I tell you,’ he said, ‘this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.’” (Verses 1 – 4)
A friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer about a year ago. She had already battled the same cancer more than 10 years, but now that she has gotten a little older, wasn’t sure how the battle would go. Then came the crushing news from doctors; the prognosis was worse than expected; probably just a couple months. 

A couple months later our church ran a capital campaign to raise funds for our new home. As a congregation we prayed together, ate together, and dreamed together. Then we asked our members to make a three year financial pledge to our building project.

My friend came up and made her pledge. She has been a widow for a very long time. I wouldn’t classify her as “poor,” but she is certainly not wealthy. I have no idea what she pledged, but I know that it made God happy. 
Not only did she make a pledge to give, she pledged to give for three years! She was not going to let cancer control her faith.

A couple weeks later, my friend returned to the doctor. To her surprise, and the surprise of the doctor, the cancer had vanished.
I wish there was a formula to follow to guarantee a miracle like the one my friend received. I know a lot of faithful people that have believed God would heal them, and it just didn’t happen in this life. And I don’t know that my friend will live to finish the three years; but I know what I have seen.

She gave what she could, and God gave her life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment